Wednesday 27 April 2016

Responding to the Novel

Choose a short passage from your novel that made an impact on you as you read it, that made you stop and think maybe even say "Oh wow" to yourself.  It may have made you stop and think because you made a personal connection. It may have made you wonder and ask a question. It may have made you react in some emotional way to the words on the paper.  In your response, quote the passage and list the page number that it can be found on.  Explain, in detail, why you chose this passage, what reason did you have that made you stop and think or had you reacting in some way. Include your feelings and emotions as well as state any connections you made (text to self, text to text, text to world). An example  from another novel of how to start is this:

 "Big signs were posted at the pool saying"No Jews or Dogs Allowed". pg 14
As I read this passage I couldn't believe that this could happen. How could the Jewish even be compared to dogs?"

3 comments:

  1. DO NOT READ THIS COMMENT UNTIL YOU HAAVE GOTTEN TO CHAPTER NINE! THIS HAS SPOILERS!!

    pg. 19 "'This is a fat, strong, nigger baby,' he called to a younger white man behind him. 'Put him in the wagon.' Willie was ripped from his mother's arms without a comment."

    I couldn't believe that actually in real life! The 'slave traders' were treating them like garbage! Like pigs! This just goes to show how racist some people are, even now! I was completely disgusted and horrified. How could people live with themselves like that! It's a good thing that there are people who help the African-American's get to Canada on the 'Underground Railroad'. June-Lilly (is a really nice name) is very brave. I would probably just run right back before anyone realized I was gone. But I'm saying that in a bean-bag chair in a warm classroom. Not working a in the cotton fields from dawn 'till dusk, getting whipped every half hour. *shiver* That sounds even worse when you put it that way. What are your thoughts on this? Please comment below.

    ReplyDelete

  2. PG 19 -He strode towards Lilly Brown a shy young mother barely sixteen. She clutched her two year-old boy Willie on her arms.
    The fat man paused briefly beside her. His tiny eyes narrowed and he rubbed his oily hand down Willie's bare back.
    'This is a fat, strong nigger baby.' He called to a younger white man behind him. 'Put him in the wagon.'
    Willie was ripped out of his mother’s arms without a comment. Lilly screamed and fell to the ground.

    When I read this I put a sticky note on this saying "WHAT THE HECK, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!!" Because how is a baby going to survive with a old fat dude that is most likely going to harass or make the poor child’s life horrible to the point that it is a mess or maybe even worst. When I read this I was wondering why do people do this to there self? Do they do it to blend in or to just be a jerk, like for real if I was there in that time a I was in a rich family and we had slaves I would still have them or try to treat them with respect but my parents in that time would think that I am crazy. But yet again there is no reason to why human kind thinks that it is okay to do that to someone that is your own kind.

    yours truly
    monsterslayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @monsterslayer
      I totally agree with you. If I was in that time, I would buy a slave, and move to somewhere right near the border of America and Canada, and I would let them free. Lets hope I wouldn't get arrested.

      Julia Child

      Delete